Wednesday 1 September 2010

Morning Ritual



In this space called 47, Lynn and I want to present, as honestly as possible, what it is to be a woman in her late forties.

In that spirit I need to share my morning ritual. My day begins early with a cup of coffee and a cigarette.  Coffee drunk and cigarette smoked on our back verandah, sometimes in the most freezing of conditions.

I started smoking when I was 17. Gave it up for each of my pregnancies. Gave it up for good after Margot was born.  For seven years.

Last year, on the day when my world caved in on itself, I drove to a friend's place armed with a six pack of vodka coolers and a packet of cigarettes.  I only managed one cooler and two cigarettes that night.

However as the weeks went by and my misery deepened, the cigarettes became a part of my life again.  The slow drag in, the slow exhale out.  The assisted breathing. Ironic on so many levels.

I still smoke, despite my life being more settled.  Since I weaned myself off the anti depressants, I use the cigarettes to alleviate the familiar old nervy stomach.

Our children are not thrilled by my smoking.  I will give up.

Just not yet.

4 comments:

  1. Ahhhhhhh ...... smoking. It's been 7 years since I gave up, but I will always be a smoker at heart.

    The only thing that stopped me from taking up again when Dave got cancer was .... I didn't want both of my kids parents dying from cancer. And we are still alive! Woo-hoo!

    Mary, I'm sure you will give up again - when the time is ready for you. Have a puff for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't smoked regularly since 2005 but still consider myself a smoker. I have three friends that I catch up with about every six months and we always end up having cigarettes, when we normally never do...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could do the coffee part, but I've never smoked. I tried it, didn't like it and never tried again.

    We all need a little assist, and I know you will give it up when you are ready! You are an amazing, amazing person.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My best friend has just stopped smoking (it's important, apparently, to say 'I've stopped' rather than 'I've given up') and I know it's been a huge struggle. She highly recommends a book by Allen Carr... just saying...

    ReplyDelete