Wednesday 1 September 2010

Hands

(Me giving my mother Reiki after she burned her thumb on a birthday candle the other night)

After spending hours at my dying grandmother's bedside recently, transfixed by her ziggedy-zaggedy arthritic fingers, I started paying more attention to my own hands.  Was that a bit of zig-zagging going on there in my left index finger, the one whose middle joint goes pop when I bend it?

I have given close to 10,000 massages and done a lot of power-weeding and secateur-squeezing in my day.  It's bound to take its toll eventually.  And yet, I bet I haven't done half the work with my hands that my grandma did with hers by the age of 47...

3 comments:

  1. I love this photo. It sums up the mother-daughter relationship I want to have with my girls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I watch my mother's hands this way too. And wonder if my boys look at mine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful picture; one to cherish, I think.

    ReplyDelete