Thursday 11 November 2010

bathroom toys


Hello my friend

I am still here but I know you and I have been dealing with all the stuff that life throws you in the last couple of months.

This post has been on my mind for a while....and whilst the photo is a bad one taken with my phone, the memories it conjures up are not.

These are the last of the bathroom toys that I cannot bear to throw out just yet.  On the rare occasion that Margot has a bath now instead of a shower, I will still hear her playing with them.  The noises she makes, the stories she tells, the songs she sings whilst taking a long bath, these bath toys are the last vestiges of toddlerdom left in my home  (other than for favourite soft toys).

Margot is the youngest of my three and at eight years of age, she still, thankfully, remains an innocent in many ways.

When I drop her off at school I consciously imprint on my memory bank the image of her , blonde haired, back pack carrying, sometimes murmuring away to herself as she walks in the school gate.

Because one thing is for sure- at 47 the years are truly whipping past at a tremendous rate.

Love

Mary

8 comments:

  1. xoxoxo

    I shall remember this post next time I am getting cranky about Mr. D. sloshing great waves of water out of the tub. He, too, sings songs and tells stories, although he now appears to be shunning his squeaky toys in favor of his color-change Disney Ariel bath doll...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just had the same thought today. My three are teens (or nearly) and we've been running here, there, and everywhere in service of their school activities. Makes each week zip by so fast. I really do want time to slow down. And as for the bath toys, I do remember the sadness of finally removing them.

    p.s. I keep a pacifier in the drawer of my bedside table. It always makes me smile and nearly makes me cry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I so understand this...for years I wanted the end of horrid old mouldy bath toys....but at 14 (last year) I heard the youngest in there with toy soldiers, having some crazy soapsud war !
    It did make me smile..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Right. I need to cry now. Thanks for that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't want to throw out the bath toys either, I think they make the bathroom so cheerful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is just a knitted starfish (!) left in my bathroom now that all the toys have gone. Not really a bath toy, I know, as it would have turned to hoummous had it got wet being filled with chick peas...

    ReplyDelete
  7. The sweet memories of childhood summed up in tubbie toys.

    What had me holding my breath is not the passage of time between toddler and child but the thought that if anyone ever took a picture of the corner of my tub I would be horrified.Yours is so clean it sparkles.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for this, dear Mary.
    I curse the blasted bath toys every day but I should be soaking up all the noise and mess knowing that there will be a day when I will miss it.
    x

    ReplyDelete